Faith Academy endeavours to provide school bus service to those students who require this type of service and reside in specific catchment areas. Due to the number of requests that are received each year not every request can be accommodated, and therefore a priority list has been developed to outline how the school will honour bus requests.
The priority list is as follows:
- Priority #1 – to accommodate families who reside more that 1.6 kilometers from the Matheson Campus
- Priority #2 – is to accommodate students who are enrolled in Kindergarten to Grades 6 and live beyond the 1.6km boundary.
- Priority #3 – is to accommodate students who are enrolled in Grades 7-9 and live beyond the 1.6km boundary.
- Priority #4 – is to accommodate students who are enrolled in Grades 10-12 and live beyond the 1.6km boundary. Consideration will be given to students who do not reside close to Metro transit routes.
Inclement Weather – Severe Weather and Bus Cancellations
Sometimes, severe weather causes us to cancel buses. The general rule is that if the temperature combined with the wind chill is -45C or colder as registered at The Forks (as posted by Environment Canada at 6:00 a.m.), we cancel buses for the whole day but the school usually remains open. Faith Academy follows the lead by all metro Winnipeg school divisions (specifically the Seven Oaks School Division) based on this rule.
Selected radio stations will also announce bussing cancelations. They usually broadcast cancellations every 15 minutes. You can also check local radio stations on the Internet.
If we have not announced or posted a cancellation alert, buses are running.
Please do not call our school offices or media outlets. Doing so ties up phone lines. Instead, please access information as outlined above.
Transportation Cancellation Procedures
In the event of severe weather:
- Everyone is asked to listen to the media for announcements regarding bus cancellations and/or school closures.
- If transportation is cancelled in the morning, the cancellation will apply for the whole day.
- If it is necessary to close the school early during the day because of severe weather, students will be dismissed early. Those students using the bus service will be bused home.
- The decision to close the school will be made by the Superintendent of Faith Academy in consultation with the Director of Transportation.